[R] windows vs. linux code

jdeisenberg catcode at catcode.com
Thu Feb 26 02:19:33 CET 2009

Sherri Heck wrote:

> I have been given some Rcode that was written using a Linux OS, but I
> use Windows-based R.  The person that is giving it to me said that it
> needs to run on a Linux system.  Does anyone have any insight and/or can
> verify this.  I haven't yet obtained the code, so I haven't been able to
> try it yet.

Linux and Windows use different end-of-line delimiters, but R doesn't care
about that.

If the code uses the system( ) call to directly invoke an OS command, then
that code is almost certainly tied down to one operating system.  For
example, system("date") works fine on Linux, but doesn't on Windows.