[R] ftp fetch using RCurl?

CHD850 chd850 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:38:45 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I have to fetch about 300 to 500 zipped archives from a remote ftp server.
Each of the archive is about 1Mb. I know I can get it done by using
download.file() in R, but I am curious that is there a faster way to do this
using RCurl. For example, are there some parameters that I can set so that
the connection does not need to be rebuilt....etc.

A even simpler question is, how can I fetch an archive from the server and
place it somewhere locally? I have spent a lot of time reading RCurl
documents and curl web pages but in vain. Can someone show me an example of
the syntax? Pardon me if this is trivial to you.

Thanks
Stanley