[R] removing daylight savings in R

Rhiannon Marchant rhiannon.marchant at synergy.net.au
Fri Feb 27 00:07:08 CET 2009

   Hi all,
   I've been having some trouble with times in regards to daylight savings in R
   version 2.8.1.  I have an ORACLE database that R is importing data in from,
   for the 2am and 2:30am time intervals for the dates that daylight savings
   starts the times are getting read as NA values into R. I'm also finding that
   if  I  open a R workspace from version 6.2.2,the datetimes are getting
   converted to daylight savings times.  The times are a cruical part of my
   analysis and need to stay in standard time. I would like to be using a newer
   version of R than I am currently using (2.6.2) so that I can make use of the
   newer packages that are available, however with this problem of the time
   conversions I am unable to do this. Is anyone able to help with to set up
   R2.8.1 to use standard time instead of daylight savings times?
   The session info for R 2.8.1 is:
   R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
   i386-pc-mingw32
   locale:
   LC_COLLATE=English_Australia.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_Australia.1252;LC_MONETAR
   Y=English_Australia.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_Australia.1252
   attached base packages:
   and for 2.6.2 is:
   R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
   i386-pc-mingw32
   locale:
   LC_COLLATE=English_Australia.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_Australia.1252;LC_MONETAR
   Y=English_Australia.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_Australia.1252
   attached base packages:
   [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  tcltk     methods
   [8] base
   other attached packages:
   [1] svSocket_0.9-5 svIO_0.9-5     R2HTML_1.59    svMisc_0.9-5   svIDE_0.9-5
   Regards
   Rhiannon
   Rhiannon Marchant
   Forecasting Analyst
   Wholesale
   Synergy (ABN: 71 743 446 839), 228 Adelaide Tce, Perth, WA, 6000, Australia
   phone:   (08)   6212   1464   |   fax:   (08)   6212   1036  |  email:
   rhiannon.marchant at synergy.net.au
   business  enquiries:  131354 | identification no.: 300794  |  website:
   [1]synergy.net.au

   SYNERGY. ABN 71 743 446 839, Perth, Western Australia.
   Telephone: +61 8 6212 2222
   TO THE ADDRESSEE: Unencrypted E-mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
    We cannot guarantee the accuracy,
   reliability, completeness or confidentiality of this E-mail and any attachme
   nts ("E-Mail").
   The e-mail system used for this communication is based on Western Standard T
   ime.
   Please check all times carefully if they are important to the context of the
    communication.
   IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED ADDRESSEE: This E-Mail is intended solely forthe
    intended addressee and may be subject
   to legal or other professional privilege, or may contain information that is
    confidential or exempt from
   disclosure by law. Copying or distributing this E-Mail or any information it
    may contain, by anyone other than the
   intended addressee, is prohibited. If you have received this E-Mail in error
    please notify us immediately by return
   e-mail or by telephone; and destroy this E-Mail and any electronic or hard c
   opies of it. Any claim to privilege or
   confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken transmission of
   this E-Mail.
   VIRUSES: Although we scan all outgoing e-mail and attachments for viruses, w
   e cannot guarantee that viruses will not
   be transmitted with this E-mail. It is the recipient's responsibility to che
   ck this E-Mail for viruses.