[R] Making tapply code more efficient

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Feb 27 16:23:38 CET 2009

Hi Harold,

What about this? You one have to make the crosstabulation once.

> qq <- data.frame(student = factor(c(1,1,2,2,2)), teacher =
factor(c(10,10,20,20,25)))
> tab <- table(qq$student, qq$teacher)
> data.frame(Student = rownames(tab), Freq = rowSums(tab), tch =
rowSums(tab > 0) == 1)
  Student Freq   tch
1       1    2  TRUE
2       2    3 FALSE

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey