[R] problem with an old .RData file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 28 18:46:16 CET 2009

When you load your old workspace, try

conflicts(detail = TRUE)

The workspace contains a lazyload promise from that very old version,
with the name of a system function.  You need to delete that promise
from the workspace, and the command above should help you find which
it is.

One guess is 'file', in which case use 'rm(file)' .

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Marco Barbàra wrote:

> Dear useRs,
>
> Today I've encountered a weird unexpected behaviour. It is not a real
> problem for me and I can workaround it. But I'm very curious of what
> could have caused it.
>
> Starting an R session in a directory with an old .RData my first command
> was
>
>> library(MASS)
>
> and i got
>
> Errore in .Call("R_lazyLoadDBfetch", key, file, compressed, hook,
> PACKAGE = "base") : C symbol name "R_lazyLoadDBfetch" not in DLL for
> package "base"
>
> In this session the same error appear when I try a save.image() or
> simply answer "yes" when closing R (I can close only answering
> "no"). But I manage to view and work with the saved environment.
>
> The problem is strictly connected with *this* .RData file and
> other .RData files saved in the same period with the same version of R
> (2.1.1) work correctly.
>
> Now, the question. I'd like to look inside this file to search for
> differences with working ones, but from within R I cannot save an ascii
> version of this file due to this problem, and i do not know what kind
> of compression was applied (gunzip says «not in gzip format»).

It is gzip format.  But looking inside the file will not help you,
even whn you know the 'R Internals' manual backwards: the format is
simply not human-readable.