[R] filled.contour and time axis

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 20:53:38 CET 2009

The filled.contour help page offers a somewhat more extensive example
for using plot.axes than you have attempted:

plot.axes = { axis(1, seq(100, 800, by = 100)) axis(2, seq(100, 600,
by = 100)) },
And looking at the help page for axis() shows that the default setting
for at is NULL, so it is "correctly formatted" as called, and you
instead need to tell axis where to place the ticks and labels. This
minor hack of the filled.contour example using the pretty function may
offer ideas that you can apply to your code (whatever it might be.)
  x <- 10*1:nrow(volcano)
  y <- 10*1:ncol(volcano)
  filled.contour(x, y, volcano, color = terrain.colors,
     plot.title = title(main = "The Topography of Maunga Whau",
      xlab = "Meters North", ylab = "Meters West"),
      plot.axes = { axis(1, pretty(x,min=0))
                    axis(2, seq(100, 600, by = 100)) },
      key.title = title(main="Height\n(meters)"),
      key.axes = axis(4, seq(90, 190, by = 10)))# maybe also asp=1
  mtext(paste("filled.contour(.) from", R.version.string),
        side = 1, line = 4, adj = 1, cex = .66)
# Bottom line ... read the axis help page and the links from it.
--
David Winsemius