[R] Suggestions for inputting a date via a dialog box?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jan 1 03:55:11 CET 2009

2008/12/31 Tubin <sredmonson at yahoo.com>:

> Hm.  This looks like a fantastic package in general... but for this
> particular project I would rather not have to redo the entire program to run
> in Rpad.  And it is not immediately evident that I could use Rpad just for
> the function of getting values for a couple of date variables...  Or have I
> misunderstood?

 If this is for running on a Unix-based system you could install
xdialog and use the calendar box widget:

http://xdialog.free.fr/

 but there is no windows version as far as I can see.

 You might be able to use Perl/Tk and Tk-DateEntry on Windows:

http://search.cpan.org/~srezic/Tk-DateEntry-1.38/DateEntry.pm

 but that would require Perl, Perl/Tk, and a way of calling that from
R (probably using system()).

 You could build something simpler in pure R using library(tcltk) -
the easiest thing to do would probably be three drop-down widgets for
day, month, year. Building a full calendar widget might be tricky...

Barry