[R] Basic Question about use of R

David Greene greene107 at ntelos.net
Fri Jan 2 20:12:20 CET 2009

Dear Sirs:
I am not yet a user of R.  My background includes the use of (Turbo)
Pascal for scientific analysis of underwater acoustics problems (e.g.
sound ray tracing and array gain in directional noise fields.)
I have become interested in the following type of problem:
(1) select , say, 1000 random locations within the continental United
States;
(2) characterize (statistically) the probabilities of:
    (a) distance to the nearest paved road;
    (b) elevation above sea level;
    (c) (?) ownership (public or private); etc.
Would R be useful , perhaps in combination with Google Earth, to carry
out this kind of study?
Thank you for your consideration.
David C. Greene
greene107 at ntelos.net