[R] R badly lags matlab on performance?

Ajay Shah ajayshah at mayin.org
Sat Jan 3 19:37:30 CET 2009

> As for jit and Ra, that was immediate reaction too but I found that jit does
> not help on your example.  But I concur fully with what Ben said --- use the
> tool that is appropriate for the task at hand.  If your task is running for
> loops, Matlab does it faster and you have Matlab, well then you should by all
> means use Matlab.

A good chunk of statistical computation involves loops. We are all
happy R users. I was surprised to see that we are so far from matlab
in the crucial dimension of performance.

--
Ajay Shah                                      http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah
ajayshah at mayin.org                             http://ajayshahblog.blogspot.com