[R] Linux words file

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Jan 3 23:30:10 CET 2009

On 03-Jan-09 21:39:55, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Dear R People:
>
> I have a small function that solves the "Jumble" puzzle from the
> newspaper (I know...big deal).  It uses the the Linux "words" file.
>
> My question is:  is there a similar words file for Windows, please?
>
> Thanks,
> Happy New (Gnu) Year.
> Sincerely,
> Erin

And the same to you!
I don't know whether you can easily find the same readymade
for Windows, but you could always make one from the Linux file,
since it is a plain text file.

I have it in /etc/dictionaries-common/words

You might need to DOSify it first (i.e. end lines with CRLF
instead of just LF), though I don't know how Windows reacts
to Unix text files these days. In that case (in Linux):

  cp /etc/dictionaries-common/words words.txt
  unix2dos words.txt

unix2dos is an old program which is not present on all Linux
distributions. Maybe you don't need it anyway, in which case
just do the 'cp' (to get the extension ".txt").

And are you going to share your R program?

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 03-Jan-09                                       Time: 22:30:06