[R] RODBC connection die - using more than 1 Rgui/Rcmdr

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jan 6 11:55:42 CET 2009

On 05/01/2009 9:26 PM, jaey.ahn wrote:
> Yes, I am aware of that.
> RODBC connection is automatically shutting down without any warnings or
> error message. (That's why I jotted down Oracle error message when trying to
> reconnect).
>
> I don't think it's a matter of Oracle since I've tested many query works
> simultaneously with multiple windows.
>
> I suspect RODBC's stability with multiple windows.

That would be a bug, so you should put together a simple example to
reproduce it.  Avoid Rcmdr, try to just use Rgui and RODBC.  The big
problem will be the database:  if your example requires Oracle, only
someone with Oracle will be able to debug it, so try to put together a
generic example that works with any database with an ODBC driver.

I still suspect Oracle here (it did say "internal error" after all), so
please do demonstrate it on some other database before you conclude it's
an RODBC problem.

Duncan Murdoch