[R] Re : Importing data from SPSS with Arabic encoding

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 7 12:48:59 CET 2009

Florent Bresson wrote:
> Thanks Brian for your help. I am sorry, I should have red the help page more carefully. I am working on Kubuntu 8.04 with R 2.8.0. The problem with the file is that I do not know what the encoding is. I do not understand what you mean with "[...] but most likely the output before the error which (you did not show us) told you (and would have told us)" since I just ran R, loaded the foreign package and then tried to get the data with the function read.spss().

And you did not show us all the R output.  read.spss will produce
notes or warnings if it finds one.

And PLEASE, you still have not given us the information asked for
in the posting guide, such as the output of sessionInfo(). Not doing so
really does make the work of the helpers a lot harder.

> I have just seen that I can get a list of the supported encodings using the function iconvlist(). Would it be possible to define some function to test which encodings fit my file?

No, you need to ask the person who gave you the file.