[R] New York Times Article: Data Analysts Captivated by R's Power

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 06:15:03 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Simon Blomberg <s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au> wrote:
>> "Some people familiar with R describe it as a supercharged version of
>>  Microsoft's Excel spreadsheet software..."
>
> Maybe it's my dry Australian humour, but I think this should go into the
> fortunes package.

The irony of that quote is great, but I'd guess it's also an effective
bit of advertising. Akin to Gary Larson's famous "what dogs hear"
cartoon (link below), I can envision many managers reading the article
and seeing something like:

"blah blah blah blah supercharged version of Microsoft's Excel
spreadsheet software that can help illuminate data trends more clearly
blah blah blah blah ...."

;-)

Kingsford Jones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sluggerotoole/153603564/