[R] ftp connections for uploading files

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 8 17:20:14 CET 2009

Try system() with curl or a decent ftp client (I don't see that package
RCurl covers this, but it might despite its description only mentioning
HTTP).  From 'man curl'

    curl offers a busload of useful tricks like proxy support, user authen-
    tication,  ftp upload, HTTP post, SSL connections, cookies, file trans-
    fer resume and more. As you will see below, the amount of features will
    make your head spin!

Ftp protocols (and there are more than one) are fiendishly complicated,
especially if proxies are involved.

BTW, this is yet another case where knowing your OS would have helped
give a more precise answer. See the posting guide.