[R] shake rattle() and roll

Graham Williams Graham.Williams at togaware.com
Fri Jan 9 12:48:52 CET 2009

Received Fri 09 Jan 2009  5:08pm +1100 from Dr Eberhard W Lisse:
> Graham,

[...]

> Three Requests for Features for rattle(): would it not be nice to also
> have direct
> PostgreSQL (RdbiPgSQL) and MySQL (RMySQL) support and support for a
> SELECT statement?
> In other words, sometimes the database tables directly don't give you
> what you need
> and so you have to develop a (convoluted) SQL statement first.
>
> Would be nice if one could ratlle(convolutedSQL) :-)-O

Hi Eberhard,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a big user of ODBC and so much of
that discussion (particularly re Mac) is beyond me.

I've added the suggestion of directly supporting RdbiPgSQL and RMySQL
to the Rattle todo list. Examples (i.e., R code) of loading data using
these would be very helpful.  So, basically, what is the sequence of R
commands to get the data from either sources into a data frame in R
(yes I could look it up but it would help, time-wise, to be spoon
fed).

The idea of adding the ability to have a SQl SELECT statement written
in the GUI to extract just the data we want is good, and is on my todo
list.

Regards,
Graham