[R] Maintain Spaces and Parentheses in Variable Names

Cloudy56 clough.jonathan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 18:56:33 CET 2009

Is there any way to maintain spaces, slashes, and parentheses in variable
names when reading these into R?

Of course, read.table converts these to periods.  However, I know that it's
not strictly illegal to have these characters in variable names as I am able
to add them using the "variable editor" portion of the "data editor."

I need to batch produce dozens of histograms for reporting purposes and my
data is loaded with special characters e.g. "Historic Trend (mm/yr)"
Adding "Historic.Trend..mm.yr." to my plots is not acceptable for reporting
purposes.  Do I really need to manually label all of my plots each time I
produce them in R or manually change the variable names in the Data Editor?

Any help that anyone may be able to provide to allow me to read data without
"corrupting" my variable labels would be appreciated.  (Forgive me if this
is a dumb question, first day in R.)