[R] R in the NY Times

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Jan 10 19:31:39 CET 2009

2009/1/10 Tony Breyal <tony.breyal at googlemail.com>:

> [SAS marketroid quote]
> "In fact, SAS values open-source software."

 But clearly not enough to open-source SAS itself. It would seem that
SAS values _other_people's_ open source.

 If SAS was open source and free, then SAS would collect on all the
other things "Customers value SAS for" - support, testing, training,
docs, etc etc. And there would be a lot more people using it.

 Another quote: "We advocate approaches based on science" - closed
source is closed knowledge and is nearer alchemy than science. I may
use proprietary software for video editing or music production, but
when it comes to science, it's got to be open.

Barru