[R] problems installing package XML to a computer without an internet connection

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Sun Jan 11 03:50:09 CET 2009

Hello,

I am hoping for some advice regarding how I can install the XML
package which I require to run package tm.

Normally I would use the install package option, however, I have to
install the packages to a laptop running XP. The laptop does not have
an internet connection.

Firstly I tried the file -   XML_1.99-0.tar.gz . Below is the error I received

Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In zip.unpack(pkg, tmpDir) : error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: In gzfile(file, "r") :
   cannot open compressed file 'XML_1.99-0.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION',
probable reason 'No such file or directory'

Then I tried XML 1.96-0.zip (from
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/). Below
is the error I received

Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths())) :
   there is no package called 'proxy'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'tm'

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Bob