[R] Working with duplicated rows

Steve Murray smurray444 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 16:52:26 CET 2009

Dear all,

I have a dataframe of 3 columns, consisting of 'longitude', 'latitude'
and a corresponding 'value'. Where identical 'longitude' and 'latitude'
pairs occur more than once, I want their corresponding 'value' to be
summed and the 'pair' to only appear once.

For example:

long   lat   value

10     20      5

6      2       3

27    -3       9

10     20      10

4     -1       0

6      2       9

would be converted to something like:

long   lat   value

10     20      15

6      2       12

27    -3       9

4     -1       0

...as rows 1 and 4, 2 and 6 respectively are matched with respect to
the 'long' and 'lat' columns. Their values in column 3 are then summed
and reported as one row in the new dataframe.

How would I go about coding this in R?

Many thanks,

Steve