[R] rpart with interval censored data crashes R

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Mon Jan 12 19:58:00 CET 2009

 Thank you for the input on rpart -- I just saw the message today.

 1. You are right, it should not crash.  Why it crashes rpart is simply that I
(the author) never ever tried using interval censored data in the call.  Real
users try the most amazing things....
  I'll fix it in my local version, but putting in a "no no no" message.  My
local version and the R version, maintained by Brian, have drifted quite far
apart however.

  2. Rpart deals with right censored data using the same trick as Cox models, by
thinking of it as observation of a Poisson process; number of events seen over a
given time window.  The fact that the number is always 0 or 1 doesn't hinder the
mathematical trick, which is based in counting process theory.
  BUT - the trick only works for right censored data.

  Using the mid points of your intervals is the only approach that comes readily
to mind.

  	Terry Therneau