[R] re tail case-pack ordering problem - can R help?

Stephan Kolassa Stephan.Kolassa at gmx.de
Mon Jan 12 22:59:08 CET 2009

Hi gbh22,

your problem looks a lot like a Cutting Stock Problem,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_stock_problem

Here, a_ij is your case pack profiles (how many of size j are in case
pack i), x_i counts how many units of case pack i you want, and q_j
counts how many units of size j you want. The Cutting Stock Problem then
minimizes \sum c_ix_i subject to \sum a_ijx_j>=q_j for all j, where c_i
is some penalty parameter for case pack i. Perhaps you could model c_i
as the price of case pack i, then you would minimize the total cost
(while disregarding any leftover shoes). I'm sure variations have been
looked at in the literature. I'd suggest you look at the literature
cited in the Wikipedia article.

In fact, this problem has been on my radar for a while now, though not
with high priority. I'm in software for retail, not in retail itself:
http://www.saf-ag.com. I'd love to discuss any solution approaches with
you, if you are interested.

Good luck with your case packs!
Stephan Kolassa