[R] polychoric correlation: issue with coefficient sign

Stas Kolenikov skolenik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 05:39:51 CET 2009

The original Olsson's paper
(http://www.citeulike.org/user/ctacmo/article/553309) did mention that
the greatest biases and numeric problems were encountered when the two
variables had opposite skewness. Your example is even more extreme:
tetrachoric and polychoric correlations do not like zero counts. It
actually means that your data sit on a straight line, but that line
does not pass through the intersection of the thresholds. The nominal
estimate of the correlation should be 1, and what you see should be
insignificantly different from 1. No wonder you get LAPACK errors: at
some point, you had to invert matrix( c(1,1,1,1), 2, 2) or compute its
determinant in the ML computations. My own Stata implementation of
polychoric correlation choked on your data and stopped with an
error... which I should've handled more gracefully :)). The data with
0.5 added produced the same correlation estimate but different
standard errors.

John Fox offered all other feasible explanations, like handling of
missing data in the pairwise and full data set computations. But with
unstable computations you can end just anywhere on the range of
estimates; the standard errors should tell you that your estimate is
quite imprecise.