[R] Trouble about the interpretation of intercept in lm models

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 14 08:44:41 CET 2009

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Stefano Leonardi wrote:

> Thanks for the answers.
> Still I am not totally convinced about the interpretation of intercept as a
> mean of fitted values for group belonging to first level of each factor (those
> having 0 in all columuns in matrix.models, except the first column) because the
> reasoning seems to me a little cirucular.
> Being the intercept value the expected value for that group and, as Peter point
> out, being the same value for all observations in the group it seem clear that
> it intercept it is the mean of these value.
>
> It is not completeley clear to me why (in some cases, not always) the intercept
> is not equal to the mean of the first group of raw data.

The intercept is an *estimate* of the (population or process) mean of Y at zero values of everything else.  The sample average of the Y values at zero values of everything else is another *estimate* of the same mean.

They typically aren't the same estimate, because the intercept uses information from observations with non-zero values of the covariates and the sample average doesn't.  The intercept will be a better estimate if the model fits well, since extrapolating from non-zero covariate values is then being done correctly, and potentially a much worse estimate if the model fits poorly, since extrapolation from non-zero covariate values is then being done incorrectly.

Fitting a saturated model ensures that there is no extrapolation from other values of the covariates; a saturated model says that every covariate combination has to be estimated separately.  In that case the sample average and the intercept will be the same.

There is sometimes carelessness in writing (and sometimes in reading) in linear regression books.  A natural interpretation of the intercept parameter in a linear model is the mean of Y when all X are zero, because that is simple and is a correct description when the model is true.  The estimate of the parameter is thus an estimate of the mean of Y when all X are zero. In another sense there's nothing special about X being zero. Altering the intercept will change the predicted value of Y for every X, not just for X=0. Similarly, if you don't have a saturated model, altering (almost) any value of Y will change the estimated intercept.

      -thomas