[R] problems with download.file() from ftp?

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 14 19:55:07 CET 2009

FWIW,

Having done some quick checks, the appropriate incantation is

getURL('ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/snow_course/table/history/idaho/13e19.txt',

        ftp.use.epsv = FALSE)

  D.

Duncan Temple Lang wrote:

> Hi Zack,
>
>   You might explore some of the options of libcurl
> via the RCurl package for R. Depending on the server,
> you may want to send either EPSV or PASV commands at
> some point in the dialog.
>
> libcurl, and the functions in RCurl, give you a great
> deal of control in cutomizing and controlling the
> requests to the FTP/HTTP/... server, while the
> functions in base R are less flexible.
>
>  D.
>

> zack holden wrote:
>> Professor Ripley and Brian Rowe,
>> Thank you both for your helpful suggestions. I was unable to solve
>> this problem. Apparently there is a passive FTP server that is not
>> supported by R. I'll have to find another programming language,
>> perhaps IDL, that can do this. Manually retrieving the hundreds of
>> files I need is not an option.
>> thank you again for your attempts to help me.
>> Best regards,
>> Zack
>>

>>> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:37:43 +0000
>>> From: ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
>>> To: zack_holden at hotmail.com
>>> CC: r-help at r-project.org
>>> Subject: Re: [R] problems with download.file() from ftp?
>>>
>>> First, try the example in the test file (tests/internet.R)
>>>
>>> read.table("ftp://ftp.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/datasets/csb/ch11b.dat")
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> download.file("ftp://ftp.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/datasets/csb/ch11b.dat",
>>> "test"
>>>
>>> That is known to work on many, many R systems.
>>>
>>> I get the same error as you on that URL, but it looks to me that the
>>> site required PASV ftp, something R's download.file does not support.
>>> From the detailed logs (options(internet.info=0)
>>>
>>> <<<
>>> 230---------------------------------------------------------
>>> 230- Welcome To The
>>> 230- Natural Resources Conservation Service - USDA
>>> 230- NATIONAL WATER and CLIMATE CENTER
>>> 230-
>>> 230- The Local Date and Time is Mon Jan 12 08:30:25 2009
>>> 230- Current Directory is /
>>> 230- Information Contact is: info at wcc.nrcs.usda.gov
>>> 230- Note that data files herein are at most updated once an hour.
>>> 230-