[R] noise in time series

Gerard M. Keogh GMKeogh at justice.ie
Thu Jan 15 12:34:03 CET 2009

Hi,

here's a possibility!

Your problem can be restated as "given 2 observers giving 2 measures what
is their level of agreement" - the classical measure here is the Kappa (see
sec 10.5 of Categorical Data Analysis by Alan Agresti (in Ed 1 - Ed 2
should also have it!) and you can also model the situation (same section of
book).

I had a similar problem comparing time series modelled by two (or more)
different methods in my PhD some years back. I had several series so it was
a bit easier.

Obviously, it's a bit of a problem with 2 time series but if they are
sufficiently long (say 200+ obs) you could proceed as follows:

   Take k sub-sample series of length say 35+ obs.
   Then fit say about 5 different arima models to each (if you know
   seasonal adjustment X11ARIMA the 5 basic models used there are good
   options - I can't remember them!)

   You can now create a 2X2 table (method 1 X method 2) each with 5 outcome
   model types and then count the number of models falling into each cell.
   Then apply the agreement measure!

Obviously, there will be dependence across the selected series that will
not be accounted for in the outcome frequencies, but if the time series are
reasonably long this shouldn't be too bad.

good luck with it!

Gerard

             Dieter Menne
             <dieter.menne at men
             ne-biomed.de>                                              To
             Sent by:                  r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
             r-help-bounces at r-                                          cc
             project.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [R] noise in time series
             15/01/2009 07:54

David Riano <driano <at> ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I have two time series. Both measure the same thing and I would like
> to determine which one is noisier.
> Would it be a good measure of the noise in each time series the
> absolute lag difference?
> Is this a good measure? Any other measure I could use?

You could fit an arima model and compare the residuals. It should
be could enough to get an estimate, even if I see some theoretical
problems in "measure the same thing".

Dieter

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  It is the policy of the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform and the Agencies and Offices using its IT services to disallow the sending of offensive material.
Should you consider that the material contained in this message is offensive you should contact the sender immediately and also mailminder[at]justice.ie.

Is le haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis ar a bhfuil sí dírithe, agus le haghaidh an duine nó an eintitis sin amháin, a bheartaítear an fhaisnéis a tarchuireadh agus féadfaidh sé go bhfuil ábhar faoi rún agus/nó faoi phribhléid inti. Toirmisctear aon athbhreithniú, atarchur nó leathadh a dhéanamh ar an bhfaisnéis seo, aon úsáid eile a bhaint aisti nó aon ghníomh a dhéanamh ar a hiontaoibh, ag daoine nó ag eintitis seachas an faighteoir beartaithe. Má fuair tú é seo trí dhearmad, téigh i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir, le do thoil, agus scrios an t-ábhar as aon ríomhaire. Is é beartas na Roinne Dlí agus Cirt, Comhionannais agus Athchóirithe Dlí, agus na nOifígí agus na nGníomhaireachtaí a úsáideann seirbhísí TF na Roinne, seoladh ábhair cholúil a dhícheadú.
Más rud é go measann tú gur ábhar colúil atá san ábhar atá sa teachtaireacht seo is ceart duit dul i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir láithreach agus le mailminder[ag]justice.ie chomh maith.