[R] Partial function application in R

nosek nospamek at interia.pl
Thu Jan 15 22:25:44 CET 2009

Hello,

in a desperate desire of using partial function application in R I fried out
the following piece of code:

bind <- function( f, ... ) {
  args <- list(...)
  function(...) f( ..., unlist(args) )
}

Its purpose, if not clear, is to return a function with part of its
arguments bound to specific values, so that I can for example create and use
functions like this:
 q1 <- bind( quantile, 0.25 )
 lapply( some_list, q1 )

It's been a lot of work and unfortunately is not perfect. My bind applies
arguments only using positional rule. What I dream of is a function bind2
that would apply keyword arguments, like:
 plot_lines <- bind2( plot, type="l" )
which would return
 function(...) plot( type="l", ... )

How to do this in R?