[R] Security Data extraction

Subba Rao subbapi at tanucoo.com
Fri Jan 16 02:22:16 CET 2009

Hi,

Today I came across the R application and I will admit I am not a
Statistician.  However, I think this application will be useful for me
at work.  I am a Network/System Security Engineer trying to make sense
of the huge security data I collect.  I am trying to visualize the
traffic on our network.   The data in the packet header (captured by
tcpdump) has all the information about the systems on the network.

There are lots of visual tools that can present the data in a meaningful
way.   Each tool seems to have a different data format while most tools
seem to understand CSV format?  How do I select the subset of the
network data or syslog data and create a CSV file?

How else can the R application help me present the security data in a
meaningful way to the management?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thank you.

Subba Rao