[R] Mac OS X / preview.app / fullrefman.pdf

m.u.r. mmuurr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:01:04 CET 2009

this may be slightly off-topic, as it doesn't pertain directly to the
R application, but some of the documentation.

when reading R's fullrefman.pdf (available from
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/fullrefman.pdf) in Mac OS X's
preview.app (version 4.1, on Mac OS 10.5.x), if i try to do a keyword
search within the document, the indexing step freezes about 2/3 the
way through the progress bar.  this completely locks up preview.app,
which has to be killed by terminating the process.

when reading the same document in Adobe Acrobat (Professional), no
such problem occurs. i realize this is likely some strange bug with
preview.app (and thus is something that should be sent to an Apple
development group list).  it's now been replicated on two of my
machines (on my older OS 10.4 machine it indexes just fine with no
freeze, the other two machines are both running OS 10.5).

has anyone else experienced this?  i sent in a bug report to Apple,
but i doubt i'll see any change in preview.app prior to the next OS
release.  fullrefman.pdf is also the only document that i've ever
observed this behavior with, and since i can now replicate it on two
(very) different machines (one a PowerPC G5 PowerMac, one an Intel-
based MacBook), i'm convinced it is more than a one-time anomaly
(which is what i originally chalked it up to).

or has anyone ever tried to regenerate the fullrefman.pdf doc itself
from source?  to be honest, i wouldn't even know where to begin to do
this, but if it can get rid of this annoyance for me, i'd be more than
willing to learn if someone pointed me in the appropriate direction.

thanks much!

- murat