[R] Sweave encoding problem

Gerrit Voigt gerrit.voigt at campus.tu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 19 16:48:22 CET 2009

Hello,
Sweave seems to have trouble processing german letters in R.
For example, my noweb R-input looks like this.
<<>>=
Oberflächenfehler = c(4, 11, 6, 2, 7, 9)
@
If I send it through Sweave, I get the following error message.

error:  chunk 1
Error in parse(text = chunk) : unexpected input in "Oberflä"
extra: Warning message:
In readLines(f[1]) :
   underfull last line in "C:\...."

(my R is in german, so I needed to translate the error message myself.)

I got the impression, that this is an encoding issue of Sweave, since
the input typed into R directly works just fine. The encoding I use in
my noweb document is utf8.

Thanks in advance
Gerrit