[R] should I use rbind in my example?

David Freedman 3.14david at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 20:16:53 CET 2009

Are you sure that you want to loop over variables for each subset, and do
this within each subset?  A simple way to generate summary statistics
(across variables and within categories) is the summaryBy function in the
doBy package:

d=data.frame(wt=rnorm(100,100,10),ht=rnorm(100,2,1),sex=gl(2,1,100))
library(doBy)
summaryBy(wt+ht~sex,da=d,FUN=c(mean,sd))

David Freedman