[R] Sweave encoding problem

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jan 22 13:03:30 CET 2009

Gerrit Voigt wrote:
> Hi Roland,
> thanks for your answere. I actually tried out a different, smaller
> Latex-header and the sweave-process suddenly worked. So I copied parts
> of the old header into the new one, to check what part is causing the
> trouble. In the end I had two documents with identical content.  The new
> document worked fine with Sweave the other still gave out the
> error-message. If anybody has experienced that problem before, and knows
> an answere, please let me know.

This sounds like you have discovered homeopathic properties in Sweave!
It will be serious if input files remember errors even after they have
been removed.

But I think it's more likely that the files just look the same in your
editor, but are actually different in some way you don't see.  Candidates:
 - the encoding:  maybe your editor is recognizing the encoding, and
automatically displaying similar content from different input.
 - non-printing characters:  maybe your editor is skipping some.

I'd suggest doing a binary compare on the two files to see what the
differences are.  I think you are on Windows (but I may be misreading
the quotes below); I recommend Beyond Compare (a shareware compare
utility).  It has a hex viewer plug-in that could show you a detailed
comparison.  I imagine diff on Unix has something similar.

Duncan Murdoch