[R] Opening a script with the R editor via file association (on Windows)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jan 22 13:10:56 CET 2009

pdewitt wrote:
> I read the posting about opening .R files in windows with the Rgui and was
> wondering if anything has changed for R-2.8.1 and Windows Vista?  I have not
> yet been able to get the files to open in the Rgui, the association works
> enough to open R but that is about it.  Thanks for the input.

I don't recall anyone submitting code to do that.  It's not easy to get
it right:  for example, if you click on a file while R is running, you
probably want to open the file in the current R instance, not open a new
R session: that means running a program to send a message to R to open
the file.  And since the R script editor isn't the greatest editor in
the world, people who would write that sort of thing probably don't use
it for most of their editing, and have little motivation to do all the work.

So I'd recommend that you should investigate WinEdt, or Tinn-R, or
Emacs, all of which are much more capable editors, with available
connections to R.

Duncan Murdoch