[R] Using help() [or more likely help.search)_]

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 25 08:57:07 CET 2009

??'normal distribution' seems to do rather well.  If you know that you
want results from 'stats' you can confine the search to that package.

'normal' is such an overloaded word that searching for it is going to
be overwhelming.  At least 'Normal' is AFAIR only used in one sense in
statistics.

``onr could argue that listing the standard and recommended packades
at the top of the help.search results -- patches to do so would be
considered.  (Some of us keep other packages in separate libraries, in
which case searching in R --vanilla does this automaticaly.)

A quck look at a good book on S/R would solve such basic issues as
quickly as anything.