[R] R for Computational Neuroscience?

Ken Knoblauch ken.knoblauch at inserm.fr
Sun Jan 25 12:38:26 CET 2009

Mike Lawrence <mike <at> thatmike.com> writes:
> I've noticed that many computational neuroscience research groups use
> MATLAB. While it's possible that MATLAB may have some features
> unavailable in R, I suspect that this may instead simply be a case of
> costly tradition, where researchers were taught MATLAB as students and
> pay for it as researchers because it's all they know.
> I'd like to attempt to break the cycle by offering colleagues
> resources on using R for computational neuroscience, but I haven't
> been able to find anything (searched the task view, r-seek, & google).

> Can anyone direct me to resources on using R for computational
> neuroscience? Input on my possibly naive assumption that R is a
> sufficient tool for this field would also be appreciated.
> Mike

Consider also, the packages
STAR - Spike Train Averaging in R
and
brainwaver - Basic wavelet analysis of multivariate time series
with a visualisation and parametrisation using graph theory

which was developed for analyzing fMRI data.
Many of the packages developed for analyzing graphs
of social networks are equally of use in analyzing connectivity
in neural systems.

There are also packages for analysing psychophysical data which
are relevant for behavioral neuroscience,
psyphy, MLDS, sdtalt, etc.

Would there be enough for CRAN TASK VIEW?

Ken

--
Ken Knoblauch
Inserm U846