[R] Help with clustering

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 14:09:17 CET 2009

Generally, how to scale different variables when aggregating them in a
dissimilarity measure is strongly dependent on the subject matter, what the
aim of clustering and your "cluster comncept" is. This cannot be answered
properly on such a mailing list.

A standard transformation before computing dissimilarities would be to
scale all variables to variance 1 by dividing by their standard deviations.
This gives in some well defined sense all
variables the same weight (which may be somewhat affected by
outliers, heavy tails, skewness; note, however, that normalising to the same
range shares the same problems more severly).

Regards,
Christian