[R] Help with sas.get

Sebastien Bihorel Sebastien.Bihorel at cognigencorp.com
Mon Jan 26 16:06:10 CET 2009

Dear R-users,

I am seeking advises on the sas.get function from the Hmisc package. I
have tried to import some of our SAS files using the syntax presented in
the function help example but the importation always failed. The
function does not seem to recognize our sas files and complains about
the lack of format library files (I am not SAS proficient, but I guess
that is what the formats.sas7bcat is, isn't?).
Currently, my working directly contain different .sas7bdat files but no
.sas7bcat files. Is the existence of format files assumed by the function?

I would really appreciate if a user experienced with this function could
provide some guidance.

Thank you

Working environment: R 2.8.1 is installed on linux machines with the
most recent version of the Hmisc package; SAS 9 runs on a Solaris based
system.

### Code
mypath <- "/home/sbihorel/my_documents/Testing_env/SAS_dataset_R_import"
mydf <- sas.get(library=mypath,member="test")

### Error message
Error in sas.get(library = mypath, member = "test") :
   SAS output files not found
In addition: Warning message:
In sas.get(library = mypath, member = "test") :

/home/sbihorel/my_documents/Testing_env/SAS_dataset_R_import/formats.sc?
or formats.sas7bcat  not found. Formatting ignored.

Execution halted

--
Sebastien Bihorel