[R] Problem with colormodel in pdf driver - with R patched

Luis Torgo ltorgo at inescporto.pt
Tue Jan 27 01:54:46 CET 2009

> Or update your R, as the posting guide suggested.  It works in
> R-patched and R-devel.
I've tried the patched version but I still have some problems with the
colormodel.
My version

 > R.version
               _
platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status         Patched
major          2
minor          8.1
year           2009
month          01
day            24
svn rev        47727
language       R
version.string R version 2.8.1 Patched (2009-01-24 r47727)

I've created the following graph:

pdf('fig8_6.pdf',colormodel='gray')
barplot(table(subset(iris,Petal.Width>1)$Species))
dev.off()

The file "fig8_6.pdf" was then compiled into a document with pdflatex.

My publisher is "complaining" that the figure is not grayscale. He
attached a picture that I also include in this email where he has used
some software that allows him to exclude colors from the visualization.
As it can be seen when including only Cyan, Magenta and Yellow there are
still some parts of the figure that appear, whilst the rest of the book
goes away...

Strangely enough all other figures of the book, which were created with
the non-patched version of R (R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)), using
exactly the same call to the pdf driver, do not have this "problem".

Any help is welcome.

Luis Torgo

--
Luis Torgo
   FEP/LIAAD - INESC Porto, LA   Phone : (+351) 22 339 20 93
   R. de Ceuta, 118, 6o          email : ltorgo at liaad.up.pt
   4050-190 PORTO - PORTUGAL     WWW   : http://www.liaad.up.pt/~ltorgo