[R] RCurl unable to download a particular web page -- what is so special about this web page?

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 27 18:53:17 CET 2009

clair.crossupton at googlemail.com wrote:
> Cheers Duncan, that worked great
>
>> getURL("http://uk.youtube.com", httpheader = c("User-Agent" = "R (2.8.1)"))
> [1] "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN\"
> \"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd\">\n\n\
> [etc]
>
> May I ask if there was a specific manual you read to learn these
> things please? I do not think i could have worked that one out on my
> own.

Unfortunately, other than reading the HTTP specification,
I don't think there is a comprehensive manual for saying
what should work and what might not.  Much of this is
subject to different levels of strictness and various
policy choices.

This particular one of no User-Agent is a somewhat common
issue. So experience is a big component, but
the libcurl documentation and the mailing
lists are good resources.

It is because of these variations, use of different protocols,
cookies, etc.  that RCurl is necessary when
url() and download.file() don't allow enough customization.

One of the useful "tricks" is to
find a call (be it in R or a command-line utility such as
wget or curl) that does work for a particular URL.
Then use something like verbose/debug options,
or tcpdump/wireshark or several others to observe
the communication that succeeds and then the same
for that call that didn't.  Comparing the differences
is a general way to hone in on the necessary invocation
elements.

  D.

> Thank you again for your time,
> C.C
>
> On 27 Jan, 16:46, Duncan Temple Lang <dun... at wald.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>> Some Web servers are strict. In this case, it won't accept
>> a request without being told who is asking, i.e. the User-Agent.
>>
>> If you use
>>
>>   getURL("http://www.youtube.com",
>>            httpheader = c("User-Agent" = "R (2.9.0)")))
>>
>> you should get the contents of the page as expected.
>>
>> (Or with URL uk.youtube.com, etc.)
>>
>>   D.
>>

>> clair.crossup... at googlemail.com wrote:
>>> Thank you. The output i get from that example is below:
>>> +          debugfunction = d$update, verbose = TRUE )
>>> [1] ""
>>> text
>>> "About to connect() to uk.youtube.com port 80 (#0)\n  Trying
>>> 208.117.236.72... connected\nConnected to uk.youtube.com
>>> (208.117.236.72) port 80 (#0)\nConnection #0 to host uk.youtube.com
>>> left intact\n"
>>> headerIn
>>> "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request\r\nVia: 1.1 PFO-FIREWALL\r\nConnection: Keep-
>>> Alive\r\nProxy-Connection: Keep-Alive\r\nTransfer-Encoding: chunked\r
>>> \nExpires: Tue, 27 Apr 1971 19:44:06 EST\r\nDate: Tue, 27 Jan 2009
>>> 15:31:25 GMT\r\nContent-Type: text/plain\r\nServer: Apache\r\nX-
>>> \nCneonction: close\r\n\r\n"
>>> headerOut
>>> "GET / HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: uk.youtube.com\r\nAccept: */*\r\n\r\n"
>>> dataIn
>>> "0\r\n\r\n"
>>> dataOut