[R] Sweave problem with greek text

constantine costas.magnuse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 18:16:30 CET 2009

Dear Sweave and R aficionados,

I am using R and Latex for many years, writing texts in greek. I tried
to combine them with Sweave, but without any success.

Could you provide me with any help?

Usually my LaTeX files are like this iso-8859-7 encoded .tex file:
http://costis.name/0various/lists/R/sweave/successful.greek.tex ,
which happily produces
http://costis.name/0various/lists/R/sweave/successful.greek.pdf .

I tried using Sweave on the iso-8859-7 encoded .Rnw file:
http://costis.name/0various/lists/R/sweave/unsuccessful.sweave.Rnw ,
but I am getting misencoded greek text and also misencoded R code as
it appears in  http://costis.name/0various/lists/R/sweave/unsuccessful.sweave.pdf
.

The .tex file that Sweave produces is located at
http://costis.name/0various/lists/R/sweave/unsuccessful.sweave.tex
I am also the latex R error code
http://costis.name/0various/lists/R/sweave/unsuccessful.sweave.log
In the above example I am not using the kerkis font-package. When I
am,  I am getting no output at all, and a latex error of "Corrupted
NFSS tables".

I can understand that the whole problem is an encoding issue, but what
should I do in order to use Sweave with greek text flawlessly?
One solution is to edit the .tex file produced by Sweave, but this
solution is by far counter-productive.

Thank you very much in advance,

Constantine Tsardounis
http://www.costis.name

PS.: I am having no problem to run Sweave in 100% English texts.
I postscript the following files:
* unsuccessful.sweave.Rnw
* unsuccessful.sweave.tex
* successful.greek.tex

########################
unsuccessful.sweave.Rnw
########################
\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{book}
\usepackage[greek]{babel}
\usepackage[iso-8859-7]{inputenc}
% \usepackage{kerkis}
\begin{document}
\section{\textlatin{Sweave}}
\subsection{\textlatin{in Greek}}
Γεια σας, τώρα γράφω ελληνικά.

<<>>=
data(airquality)
library(ctest)
kruskal.test(Ozone ~ Month, data = airquality)
@

\subsection{\textlatin{in English}}
\textlatin{Hello to all, now I am writing in English.}
\end{document}

########################
unsuccessful.sweave.tex
########################
\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{book}
\usepackage[greek]{babel}
\usepackage[iso-8859-7]{inputenc}
% \usepackage{kerkis}
\usepackage{/usr/share/R/share/texmf/Sweave}
\begin{document}
\section{\textlatin{Sweave}}
\subsection{\textlatin{in Greek}}
ΓƒΓ�Γ(c)Γ' Γ³Γ'Γ², ôþñΓ' Γ£Γ±ΓœΓΆΓΉ Γ�ëëçíΓ(c)Γ�Γœ.

\begin{Schunk}
\begin{Sinput}
> data(airquality)
> library(ctest)
> kruskal.test(Ozone ~ Month, data = airquality)
\end{Sinput}
\begin{Soutput}
	Kruskal-Wallis rank sum test

data:  Ozone by Month
Kruskal-Wallis chi-squared = 29.2666, df = 4, p-value = 6.901e-06
\end{Soutput}
\end{Schunk}