[R] scoping rules for 'for' [was - Re: for/if loop ]

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jan 29 17:22:59 CET 2009

On 1/29/2009 11:06 AM, Patrick Burns wrote:
> Certainly not a complete description, but
> 'The R Inferno' talks about this on page 62.

Hmmm, I don't think I agree with that description.  There's only one
object named i in that example (which was

for (i in 1:6) {
   cat('\n i is', i, '\n\n')
   for (i in 1:4) cat('i is', i,'\n')
}

for the lazy).  It gets set to 1, then to each of 1:4, then to 2, then
to 1:4, etc.  If you print the value after the inner loop, it will
always be 4, you won't go back to the supposed other i.  For example,

 > for (i in 1:6) {
+   cat('\n i is', i, '\n\n')
+   for (i in 1:4) cat('i is', i,'\n')
+   cat('outer i is', i, '\n')