[R] Accessing R as a Web service (UNCLASSIFIED)

Neiderer, Andrew (Civ, ARL/CISD) neiderer at arl.army.mil
Thu Jan 29 15:49:50 CET 2009

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I am new to R and somewhat to Web server programming.
I am a Java programmer, however, and have done quite a bit with X3D
(extensible 3D) computer graphics.

A statistician that I work with is doing multidimensional scaling (MDS) and
provides some x,y,z's which I display using X3D.
Currently he is using Permap which more than gets the job done but is
written in Visual Basic (I believe).  I think it would be a big job to use
Permap as a Web service.  So I am looking at R (for other reasons as well).

My question is -
Can I access R via SOAP, e.g., running on a server.  Assuming I worded my
question correctly and someone understands my question, please provide URLs
. so I can get knowledgeable.

Thank you.

- Andrew M. Neiderer