[R] bootstrapping in regression

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Jan 29 23:02:09 CET 2009

What you are describing is actually a permutation test rather than a bootstrap (related concepts but with a subtle but important difference).

The way to do a permutation test with multiple x's is to fit the reduced model (use all x's other than x1 if you want to test x1) on the original data and store the fitted values and the residuals.

Permute the residuals (randomize their order) and add them back to the fitted values and fit the full model (including x1 this time) to the permuted data set.  Do this a bunch of times and it will give you the sampling distribution for the slope on x1 (or whatever your set of interest is) when the null hypothesis that it is 0 given the other variables in the model is true.

Permuting just x1 only works if x1 is orthogonal to all the other predictors, otherwise the permuting destroys the relationship with the other predictors and does not do the test you want.

Bootstrapping depends on sampling with replacement, not permuting, and is used more for confidence intervals than for tests (the reference by John Fox given to you in another reply can help if that is the approach you want to take).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center