[R] How do I get my IT department to "bless" R?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 09:34:55 CET 2009

2009/1/29 Daniel Viar <dan.viar at gmail.com>:
> How does one get an all Microsoft
> shop on board with allowing users to user R?

 An 'all Microsoft shop' is what exactly? There is nothing on your PC
that isn't from Microsoft?

 That makes me think that you're either going to be forced to do your
statistics in Excel or you're going to have to write everything from
scratch in MS Visual Basic/C#/ASP/Bandwagon-of-the-month Language.
$Deity have mercy upon your soul.

 MS don't make anything even *remotely* like R, and if your IT dept
don't see that then get them fixed or fired.

 Now the argument between R and other proprietary stats packages
(SPSS, SAS, Stata) is something completely different. But if the
powers that be won't allow non-MS software, then those options are as
closed off as R is to you.

Barry