[R] identifying what labels have been created in a plot

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Fri Jan 30 17:51:22 CET 2009

Colleagues

R 2.8.0; OS X, Vista, Ubuntu Linux

In some instances, when I create a graphic using plot(XVAR, YVAR), it
would be valuable to know the values that R will display on the y-axis
(e.g., if the range of data is 0-70, it might display 0, 10, 30, 50,
70).   Is there a simple means to access these values?

Also, in some instances, additional ticks appear between the displayed
values (in this case, at 20, 40, 60).  Can I obtain the list of the
positions of all ticks?

Access to this information permits me to tailor the ticks and labels
in a particular manner.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD