[R] problem using identify() after plot()

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Fri Jan 30 23:52:39 CET 2009

I can't seem to use the point-and-click identify() function properly.
I'm running R 2.5.1 (I know, I need to get around to upgrading) under
Win XP. The problem is, when I click on a point on the graph, I get an
error, "no point within 0.25 inches." But in some areas, I can click
where there is no visible point anywhere close, and an identify() label
will pop up. The troublesome code is shown below.  I've posted an
example graph here:

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~cryan/junkidentify2.pdf

I'd be grateful if anyone could take a look at it. The text() labels are
in red, and the results of pointing-and-clicking are shown in black.
Notice point 4, for example: near the origin in black, but upper center
in red (which is where the real data point should be: point 4 is (11,16)

Any chance all the NA's are the problem?

plot(V2,mean.barr, type="n")
text(V2, mean.barr, label=rownames(temp), col="red")
identify(rownames(temp))
# here's the gist of the data
str(temp)
summary(temp)
rownames(temp)
temp

   mean.barr V2
1         NA  6
2         NA  1
3       12.5  6
4       16.0 11
5       11.0  4
6       12.0  0
7         NA  4
8         NA  5
9         NA  2
10        NA  3
11      16.5 11
12      14.5  8
13        NA  1
14       7.5  4
15      12.5  1
16      20.0  0
17        NA 10
18      17.0 11
19        NA  0
20       8.5  5
21      10.5  8
22      12.0  5
23       5.0  1
24       8.5  7
25        NA 19
26      12.0  0
27        NA  2
28        NA  0
29      12.5  5
30      18.0 10
31      16.5 20
32      16.5 19
33       9.0  4
34       9.5  4
35       7.0  1
36       8.0  4
37       8.5 13
38      18.5 13
39       9.0  9
40      11.0  1
41       4.0  7
42      11.5 26
43       3.5 12
44       8.5 12
45      10.0 15
46      11.0  5

Thanks

--Chris
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]