[R] xemacs and ess: keyboard shortcut for sending line to R

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Wed Jul 1 06:08:24 CEST 2009

running R 2.9.1 on Windows XP. Formerly used Tinn-R but it has been
acting strangely lately and I haven't been able to fix it, so I am
trying to learn ESS.

I have Xemacs 21.4.19. I have ESS configured, I think, as per John Fox:

An Introduction to ESS + XEmacs for Windows Users of R
John Fox
McMaster University
Revised: 5 February 2006
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/ess-xemacs.pdf

Things seem to be working fine, but I am looking for a keyboard shortcut
to send a line, selected block, or whole file to R. All I can find are
the toolbar buttons. Elsewhere I have seen reference to C-c C-n to send
the current line, for example, but, as described in Fox's paper, C-c has
been reconfigured to the customary Windows behavior of "copy selection,"
so this does not send line to R. I have also seen reference to F8 for
send line, F9 for send block, and F10 for send whole buffer, but Xemacs
gives me error messages that these keys are not defined.

Appreciate any advice.

--Chris
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]