[R] Question about <<- assignment

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jul 2 15:46:40 CEST 2009

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> <<- doesn't need to find z.  It will replace it if found, or create a
> new one if not.  (Personally I would have limited that to the first
> case, i.e. it should fail if it doesn't find z.)

Possibly. It's a holdover from S, where <<- assigns to the global
environment unconditionally.  (S doesn't have lexical scope, so there
are effectively only two places to choose from: the function evaluation
frame and the global frame -- unless you start mucking around with
sys.frame, frame 0, frame 1, etc., in which case you'd use assign(...))