[R] Need to study and learn about better plots

Thu Jul 2 17:39:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Jul 2, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:

[snip]
>> One thing you could do is to peruse the R Graph Gallery to see what
>> people
>> can do:
>>
>> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/
>>
>> In particular, the graph below looks *somehow* similar to the chart
>> you
>> link to.
>>
>> http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=109
>>

>>> Keep in mind I've not used any command other than plot() and par()
>>> so far. I *very* new to this. I started looking at ggplot2 last
>>> night.
>>> I haven't looked at Lattice.
>>>

>> You're looking in the right place. Here's a blog that someone is
>> writing as
>> they learn how to use ggplot2. His latest posts compare how to
>> construct
>> graphics from the lattice book " Lattice: Multivariate Data
>> Visualization
>> with R" using ggplot2:
>>
>> http://learnr.wordpress.com/
>>
>> That should be very useful.
>> Hope that helps,

[snip]

> What a great site! Thanks!
>
> The chart you point out looks very helpful. It's unfortunate that the
> download source link isn't functional right now, but I'll check that
> out. If you can get source for the graphs you're interested in then
> it's a great help.

If you're talking about this graph:

http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=109

The source is indeed available, just click on one of the (R) or
Firefox icons under the Requirements/source code section.

The link is:

http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/sources/source_109.R

In fact, if you have the 'quantreg' package installed, you can just
source it from R and see the graph live :-), ie:

R> source("http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/sources/source_109.R")

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology