[R] Color of ecdf plots

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jul 3 19:34:45 CEST 2009

Does not work for me with rnorm(20) as an argument. (And supplying a
dummy value for DIM.) The error after fixing the missing DIM issue was:
Error in plot.stepfun(x, ..., ylab = ylab, verticals = verticals, pch
= pch) :
   argument 4 matches multiple formal arguments

  The help page for plot.ecdf refers me to plot.stepfun (and the error
message did too) which does not have a col= argument but rather
col.hor= and col.vert= . Using those arguments instead of col="red",
it now "works".

plot(
    ecdf(rnorm(20)),
  do.points=FALSE,
  verticals=TRUE,
   main=paste("Ecdf of distances "),
   col.hor="red", col.vert="red"
  )

On Mac OS X 10.5.7, 64bit R 2.8.1

On Jul 3, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Lars Bergemann wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I have the following two ecdf plots in one graph:
>>  plot(
>>  ecdf(....),
>>  do.points=FALSE,
>>  verticals=TRUE,
>>  main=paste("Ecdf of distances ",DIM,sep=""),
>>  col="red"
>> );
>> lines(
>>  ecdf(....),
>>  do.points=FALSE,
>>  verticals=TRUE
>> );
>> How do I change the color of the resulting graph? Adding col="red"
>> to either plot or lines results in an error ...
>

> ... but works for me.
>
> Hence please specify your version of R, OS, exactly reproducible
> code (above the argument to ecdf are missing, obviously).
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories