[R] Remove all spaces from a string so it can be used by assign()

Jason Rupert jasonkrupert at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 4 05:19:10 CEST 2009

Don't think you can have numerics as the first characters in a variable name.

R ninjas can confirm, but I think you will be able to have numerics after an initial alpha character, e.g.

Fe56 is ok, but 56Fe is not ok.

Also, check out "gsub".  This is a really powerful string editing tool.

Hope this helps.